Is it safe to travel to africa? before start to write about travel safety tips we would like to say one thing; it can happened anything any time anywhere in the world when traveling our just next to your home.
Travel around the world by motorcycle, sleep in the tent, go to bush / wild camp most of the time, stop middle of nowhere…etc. try protect yourself from wildlife or people is not easy but might be necessary. We are not carrying a gun; even if we want to carry we don’t know how we can use it. 🙂 We don’t know karate, judo or something else to protect ourself. (To be honest, it can be good idea to learn a little if we have time). But still we have something to protect ourself or some plan for it. We didn’t have something when we were traveling in Europe but we had in Africa. We ride motorcycle around Africa in 1,5 years and passed 33 countries. Of course we had some problems but we handled it. If you have questions in your mind “is it safe to travel Africa right now?” it is so hard to tell because a little up to you as well. Where are you going? When are you going?…etc. This is our travel safety tips;
How can we protect ourself? What do we carry for our safety?
- We have pepper spray with us. When we ride motorcycle it is hang on next to hand bar we can get it. When we walk it is always in our pocket. When we sleep just next to us as well.
- We have electro-shock which is flashlight at the same time. We carry it same way pepper spray. We had pepper spray and electro-shock after a thief try to enter our tent in a secure camping site.
- We also have small switchblade.
- We have mosquito spray, which we use to spray tent before go to sleep. it is always next to tent and can use easily like a pepper spray.
- Our small hammer is always next to us as well when go to sleep in the tent.
- We don’t go out in the night if it is not necessary or our friends need to pick up us to go out. We always ask first for the area is it safe or not, we can take any taxi or we need to call somewhere. Some countries in Africa use uber taxi and we used them as well.
- We never carry our passport with us when we go out just have copy. If police ask and has to see we tell them to go back to the hotel, camping site…etc to show them.
- Never carry all our important paper, cards or a lot of money with us. Because if somebody steals it we never lose all of them.
- If we go to bazaar or walk around we don’t carry our normal phones. We have one old phone, it is always with us to look for directions and roads because we don’t want to show a good phone in our hands all the time.
- When we need shopping one of us always next to the motorcycles the other one goes to shop. Depend on the area who wait next to motorcycles.
- We need a break sometimes when we ride motorcycle. Of course people can come next to us to talk. We always try to put motorcycle between us when we talk. Some kind of safety for us as well because they can catch you in a second.
- If we don’t know people we don’t shake hands so often and especially in Kenya after we hear some stories. They have something in their hand when we shake hand we can lose some kind of our memories.
- When we go to the bar we just drink beer because they always open next to us and easy to close top so nobody can put anything. We know a lot of stories about it in Africa and Brazil.
- When we leave from tent or motorcycle we carry all important stuff with us never leave it behind. Or if we are in a hotel, camping site… we can put safe box(if they have) or give reception.
We had one of bad experience in Africa. 8 people attack us middle of the street. After that we talk a lot about our safety and decided some important rules.
- If anybody try to enter our tent again or take something on the motorcycle “Do not run behind it!” we never know if his friends waiting on the corner and attacked.
- If people attacked us to steel something “Do not fight with them!” because they can use their gun or knife and we could get injured there or worse.
- If our petrol finish or break motorcycle like nowhere or one person need help because of a injury…etc “We never leave each other nowhere alone there!” we will find a solution together and leave the area together.
- If the motorcycle breaks and we need to fix with somebody “Only one person will focus to work on it!” other person needs to take care motorcycle and our stuff.
I think one of the other important thing is how to prevent yourself from malaria in Africa.